24 Mart 2006

Paint My Pixels - Just for $1

It all started with milliondolarhomepage. The idea of selling screen real estate to make money and some kind of art. The idea was unique and gave birth to other unique ideas. One of them is the "paint my pixels" page that sells 10x10 pixel areas for $1 but the idea is a bit different here. when canvas gets full, it's replaced and the resulting image is stored in the page archives and also available for print.

Like every website, this page needed some attention. I found the site in a local /. like IT site and headed to that direction. Only ten pixels were painted and there was also a giveaway for first ten comers. I asked for one free position and since it was available I got my small space in the internet history (after selecting a valid color since my first color choice was out-of-palette beacuse I didn't looked to color palette of the site). Thanks again.

Why this stuff was important for me? Actually, this is a matter of taste. I'm using computers since 1992 and using internet since 1998. This means that I've used BBSes, loved ASCII art, watched 64K assembly demos, seen some of the hacker things and the rise of postmodern computing. Sometimes I miss that years of simplicity. Text consoles, ASCII art, real and warm community etc. This site reminded me those things and I've dived in with an insane instinct. "I should get a small retro place in this site cos I remember the smell of this."

IMHO, these pixels for $1 is not expensive for the geeks or retro lovers like me. Since people like me are a minority in the world, these kind of sites attract the big advertising crowds to itself but it's not the subject of this post. I hope that the canvas will fill slowly and we'll be able to watch the formation of the color mosaique.

Good nite.

Hiç yorum yok: